Saturday, January 15, 2011

The First Day of the Rest of my Life

I know that technically everyday is the first day or the rest of my life, but this Monday was more literally so. I began work on Monday, it started my career, which is the rest of my life. So Monday was the first day of the rest of my life.

It is so weird. I have had internships before, so the environment is not particularly new to me. But the mindset is different. At all my internships, I could say that I was leaving. If something was not great, I could say with confidence that it would soon be over. I never really had to settle in, because I would soon leave. The notion that is was temporary was always in the back (or front) of my mind.

Now, it is not temporary.

This is my job. The start of my career. The goal is to not make it short-term. Cause if it ends, that makes me jobless. There is no school to look to in a few months. There is a full-time job. And that's scary.

Also, it is hard to wrap my mind around how good God is. I don't think I ever will, but I can't even understand how good the stuff he does are. I mean, this job is a blessing in and of itself. Everyone I talk to at the company tell me that it is surprising that I got a job. How the company is just starting to hire people and that is a great time to be hired. I didn't even do anything to get the job. I can't claim it. God did it, that is for sure.

Yet, I fear. I fear that it is wrong. That the company didn't mean to hire me. That this isn't the job God wants me to have. That it is temporary. That is will not last. I fear that if I get comfortable, I will fail. And that is not true.

I need to keep reminding myself that this job is here to stay. That I am called to the workforce and God wants to use me there. That I didn't do anything to get this job, and if God wants to take it away, there is nothing that I can do to change it.

I want to share this time with you. Let you in. Allow you to join me as I figure out what it truly means to glorify God in all I do. To work heartily for the Lord, not for men. And maybe we can learn a few things out along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment