Monday, October 3, 2011

Lessons in leadership

I started my new project today. I like it so far. My new boss is all about training me (and my coworkers) for the long run. Not just to complete this project. So today he was telling me about how he wanted me to do my job, and I believe that it is really how I should be doing any job, and even stuff outside of work. So I thought I'd share it with my friends. He was saying that he wanted me to take leadership over my work. He told me to think before I asked questions and come up with a solution on my own. Even to implement the solution and then present it to him. He said that this way I would actually learn. If I just went to his office and asked him how to do it, I wouldn't learn. But through my mistake I would learn what not to do and the reasoning behind doing it a certain way. He also said that every person is a leader in his own realm. Each person is in charge of something no matter how small or big. And he told me about how it is each persons responsibility to take care of that area and to make it succed. This reminded me of two things from the Bible. First the parable of the talents. Three servants are given a different amount of talents each and left to their own. The master leaves, planning to come back at some time to reclaim the money. The first two servants work with their talents and double their original amounts. The third buries it, afraid of losing it. The master comes back and rewards the first tow, but punishes the third for being foolish. I don't know for sure that the oint of this parable is to tell us that we need to take control of our spheres of responsibility, but it sure made me think of this story. Also, I was reminded of the beginning of time, when God told Adam that he was to work the ground and rule over the earth. God gave man a kingdom to rule over and work in. He expected Adam to take care of it well. And I believe that the idea of rule is so big in our human-ness. Even in the curse, God tells Eve her desire will be to rule over her husband. Everyone wants control. I think that is waphy it is such a big deal to submit ourselves to Christ. We have to give up our lives to pick up something so much greater. We still have responsibility, but it is for a different kingdom. One that will last forever. Whose kingdom are you serving?

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts and I love the different references to Scripture!

    ReplyDelete