Monday, February 28, 2011

Rock Climbing...for God!

Okay, I don't actually know what it means to "Rock Climb for God!" but I thought it sounded cooler than "Rock Climbing." I think you would agree.


I got to go rock climbing this weekend with some great friends. And it was awful! Actually, it was great, but the next day was awful! I was sore sore and my body was fatigued. I couldn't even write! Crazy, right? Anyway, below is my deep observation of rock climbing and how it relates to the Christian faith, enjoy!

Well, for those who don't know when you're rock climbing (this is indoor rock climbing, I would never trust myself to go rock climbing on real rocks) there are two roles you are in. You are either the climber or the belay-er. The climber climbs. And the belay-er belays. The last one may need more explanation. This person is anchored to the ground to act as your lifeline. If you fall, or get tired, or reach the top and need to come down, you look the belay-person to help you. They are your support.

Now I had always thought that the person climbing did the all the work and the person standing as belay just got to stand there. Boy was I wrong. The belay-er does just as much work as the climber. I mean the life (or at least health) of the climber is literally in their hands. As the climber climbs, the belay-er must tighten the line to remove all slack. This is so the climber doesn't get tangled in the rope and so if they fall, they don't fall all the way. If the climber is exhausted, the belay-er has to hold the rope tight while the climber rests. And when the climber gets discouraged (as I often was when I climbed the wall) the belay-er acts as a coach and encourager, sometime giving the climber a little extra lift to make it to the next step.



So it got me thinking. I could write a whole post about what it means to "climb the wall of faith" and to not give up. And to reach for the top. But that is typical. And I think that we put too much emphasis on the person doing the climbing sometimes. Sometimes, our role is to be the encourager. Barnabas, if you will. Note I did not write "Barabas", but "Barnabas", BIG difference. :)

The supporting role is so often looked down on. But after this weekend, I which it wasn't. I wish I didn't look down on it so often. Let me tell you after you have climbed a wall and assume the role of belay-er, pulling the slack tight is at times more difficult than the climb itself. Encouraging the person who is doing the visible work is tough. Cause in the end, they accomplished the task, not you. They reached the top, while you held them there. I don't know how deep it can go, but I definitely want to give a shout out to all those people who take the role of the belay-er. Who struggle through that and ensure that their friend makes it to the top.

Who yell out to their discouraged friend "Right next to your right knee is a yellow one you can stand on!" Who wont let them off the wall till the complete the task they set out to complete. Who love them and give themselves for them. Thank you friend. Though I may not say it enough, you are a blessing to all.

(as a side note, I think that we often see marriage and the woman's role like the belay-er. it isn't glamorous and some may point to the wife and say you're not actually doing anything. but how far from the truth that is. The climber would fail without the belayer. That is a fact. Both are so important to the success of the climb and neither role is easy to fulfill. We may get frustrated with the other role from time to time thinking they are not doing enough or that they have it easy. But we all will struggle on the climb. And we all need one another. If this last part is encouraging, take it and be encouraged. If not, ignore it. It's in parenthesis anyway.)

No comments:

Post a Comment